Women at the center of the story of music

This is a blog entry from NPR.  Entitled "A New Canon: In Pop Music, Women Belong At The Center Of The Story," it is expertly written by Ann Powers.  I include it here because I already attached the list of the 150 Greatest Albums made by women in pop music that NPR posted several days ago and I include this blog because of the sentence "I'm officially tired, however, of writing about music that recognizes women when gender is the topic, but when music itself is the topic, almost always returns its focus to men."  All too often this is the case about every genre of music, not only just about popular music.  I hope you all enjoy this blog article as much as I did!  Let's talk about this...are there ways this wonderful hive mind of like-minded individuals interested in the narrative surrounding women in music can reimagine various ways to change this pattern?

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/24/538601651/a-new-canon-in-pop-music-women-belong-at-the-center-of-the-story

Comments

Other Features

MLA Women in Music Blog Feature: Anne LeBaron

Mu Phi Epsilon

Dr. Deon Nielsen Price: concert pianist, composer, music professor, mother of five

"I am NOT a Woman Composer!" The Life and Music of Louise Talma (1906-1996)