It's Haydn's birthday...so I went looking for the Women!

Sometimes in the midst of my own intense manifestation of geekdom I find myself wondering what is out in the world about the women during any one particular time period.  For instance, today is Franz Joseph Haydn's birthday...and that made me wonder just who were the women musicians who might have helped Haydn celebrate his birthday during his own time period if he had known them?  It fascinates me to think about what a woman with my own personal talent range could have done given the rules of society in any specific historical time period. I went searching the internet today to see if anyone else wondered what the lives of women musicians in Haydn and Mozart's time were like and I found this particularly enlightening article by Ann Midgette written for the Washington Post on June 4, 2008.  Click the link below if you find yourself equally curious about women musicians during the Classical Era.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/03/AR2008060303378.html

Comments

Other Features

MLA Women in Music Blog Feature: Anne LeBaron

Mu Phi Epsilon

Dr. Deon Nielsen Price: concert pianist, composer, music professor, mother of five

"I am NOT a Woman Composer!" The Life and Music of Louise Talma (1906-1996)